Sunday, July 24, 2011

Kuwait Year 3

Kuwait Tower water station

How quickly time flies!  Is it really the third year?  We arrived back in country a little over a week ago.  This summer has been much harder for me than I thought.  Last year I went a full year before traveling out of county.  This year we took a trip to Greece, but by the time vacation rolled around I was mentally & physically spent.

detail: Kuwait Towers water station

Many of my friends that arrived with us the Summer of 09 have left for new assignments & I think this has been a huge loss for me.  I lost friends left and right.  Being a military spouse change is the only constant, yet every year it is probably the single biggest obstacle for me.  It will be something I never get used to nor accept without kicking & screaming.


detail of the Real Kuwait Towers

So I have 1 year left in this assignment.  Who knew 2 & 1/2 years ago I would ask for a third year in the Middle East?  Who knew I would enjoy living here? I've stretched myself personally, spiritually & creatively.  I am thankful for the rich life I have lived here, but am so torn right now by feelings of sorrow & fear of change.  I hope to snap these wicked feelings.  It is here in Kuwait that our family adopted the policy, "The assignment does not make you, you make the assignment."  If I am to live by these words & more importantly set the example for my kids I need to find some peace.