Saturday, February 27, 2010

Operation Hope

Remember this post?  This is what I'm doing.  I am so fortunate to be working alongside a wonderful team of women.  I am working with the group Operation Hope with the Trash to Treasure project.  I almost feel guilty that I am having such a good time with volunteer work.  I see such energy & hope in these women that should be broken.
My mentors Cheryl & Becky are facilitating Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.  After that I help facilitate with jewelry making while Cheryl is teaching weaving to make rugs & bags.  Runda has been our hospitality coordinator & I help her serving the women.
I believe in this program because of the fact that we are enabling the ladies with skills & knowledge to dream & succeed.  This volunteer work is so near & dear to me because we visit the Philippine Embassy, the country of my heritage.  I have yet to visit this beautiful land, but I feel such a connection with the country & the people because of the upbringing from my parents.  They fondly share stories with us & infused the culture into our everyday life.  While I am heartbroken over the circumstances that bring the ladies here, I am overwhelmed with joy to work with them.
To my crafty friends, I'd like to put out a request.  What projects/tutorials have you seen with recycling everyday items?  We're still doing a lot of brainstorming.  Cheryl's first project was last Christmas making ornaments.  I've found a ton on the internet, but I'd like to hear what you've done.

Digital frames from: Hof3

1 comment:

Gabriela said...

Hello Nerissa,

So sorry about your dog...
Just passing by and saying hello.


~ Gabriela ~