Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Cabinet of Curiosites: WONDER

Here's my piece for the fourth prompt WONDER. I am truely enjoying this entire process. I have stretched myself artistically and tried new techniques. It has also been great to look at other artists work. I have gotten so inspired and have lots of new ideas to try out. Getting everyones feedback and comments have really made me feel so good.


This was the starting base for my piece. I painted a few shades of lilac acrylic paint for the background and painted some swirls. Next I used a black marker to doodle paisleys. Then I used matte medium to adhere printed cream tissue paper with swirls. I don't know what inspired me to do this, but I was so excited with the result. I was actually shopping for gel medium and couldn't find any at the craft store, so I thought I'd experiment with the matte medium.


After the excitement of finishing my background subsided I wondered "What to do now..." I started looking at some images I had. I took a photograph of a tree I took in our neighborhood and put that down first and the other images just followed. I found the chandelier, bed and frame in a Anthropologie catalog. I used scrapbook stickers to spell the word wonder.
This piece reminds me of having a sanctuary or personal refuge. I have to have that one place to create, journal, daydream and wonder.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you've captured one of my future dreams... and outdoor bedroom! That rocks, love your challenge :)

Christi said...

Wow!!! This is so fantastic!! I really, really love what you have done here...great hand drawn paisleys. Off to look at your other pages...smiles!

xxxxx said...

What a wondrous and surreal piece. Yes, I too would fancy an outdoor bedroom, preferably in Spring or Summer time, with birds and insects serenading me.... :-) I really love your swirly background. There's great movement in it.

Monica said...

Another beautiful page! Love how you use color!

Monica said...

OH my! Just notice my link on the sidebar! Thank you so much! I don't have links on my sidebar not because I don't want to but because I have not figure out how to do it yet...I'm so internet/technology challenge!

Lizzy said...

Oh my, the background on your piece is so luscious! I am so loving it!! The images you chose, too, are great... (now I'm wishing I didn't automatically recycle my Anthropologie catalogs. Doh!). I love your piece!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! I love the colours!

Kathy said...

Your 'wonder' page has such a lovely air of serenity and awe. Beautiful.

dogfaeriex5 said...

thank-you for stopping by, there will be more giveaways, please stop back and be careful not to trip over one of dogs...
xoxo~k

ps..love the lilac background-beautiful and dreamy

zuzu said...

Hi Nerissa! =^..^=

Oh this piece IS indeed wonderful! Rather dream-like and just what I would like to snuggle into for a nap! The ultimate garden room. Adore the colors.

I had to laugh at your mentioning the Anthropologie catalogue ... I just got a new one in the mail yesterday and as I was thumbing through it ... I realized I had no intention of ever buying anything. I just love to snitch the pictures for art projects ::giggle::

So great to have you stop by my little corner of the blogdom! And super grand to find your darling artfilled blog and to met you!!

Isn't this Valentine circle of heARTs wonderful? So glad you have found it!
And here's me ... sending ::LuCk:: for you to win something around the circle!
(Let me know if you post something too ... I'd love to share your link with everyone!)

=^..^= love, zU

Lisa Marie said...

Love your pages for this challenge! So light and free...especially love your paisley swirls on this one. Very cool!

Bonnie said...

So pretty!I jut love the chandelier and the swirls-the color purple is gorgeous, it looks all so dreamy!!